In this OfferUp vs Craigslist review, we try to answer the questions such as “is OfferUp better than Craigslist?” or “why should I use Craigslist instead of OfferUp?”
Among the numerous online retailing marketplaces that act as intermediaries between buyers and sellers, Craigslist is by far one of the most popular. The platform host a variety of things needed by people ranging from jobs to housing, the list is endless.
One close alternative to Craigslist is OfferUp. OfferUp unlike Craigslist has continually upgraded so as to give it users a different experience from other online trading apps.
This competition of course poses a point of confusion to users. When a user thinks of going into these marketplaces, there is always the question of “which is better” in mind. Craigslist or OfferUp?
In this post, we will try to do justice to questions you may have about either of the marketplace apps by comparing both of them based on key features for both sellers and buyers. Both platforms will have to go on a head-to-head challenge, and you will be able to make a decision at the end of the comparison.
OfferUp vs Craigslist Overview
Craigslist is a classified advertisement platform with listings ranging from jobs to housing, goods sale to goods wanted, services to community service, gigs to résumés, and a host of others.
Craigslist is said to have more than 20+ billion page views every month, making it the 72nd most visited website in the world and the 11th most visited website in the United State of America according to Alexa.com as at June 28, 2016, with an estimated amount of 50+ million monthly unique visitors in the United State of America according to Compete.com as at January 8, 2010.
OfferUp is another online marketplace with a focus on the customer to customer transactions. OfferUp was mainly created as a competitor to Craigslist, with its point of advantage on the mobile-friendly website and app along with ratings on the user’s profile.
OfferUp is popularly known to be one of the perfect places to trade used goods. It also boasts of being one of the platforms with very easy-to-use interface for users to list goods on, along with a user-friendly website that makes for easy navigation.
OfferUp vs Craigslist: Categories Challenge
In this article – OfferUp vs Craigslist, we will be giving you a detailed comparison between both platforms on which you can make your decision. Below, we will compare the platforms based on key features for both buyers and sellers on OfferUp and Craigslist. So based on which key feature you find very useful, deciding which platform to use will be less difficult.
Category One: Accessibility Challenge
The ability of users to easily access and navigate a platform goes a long way in deciding which platform is better for both buyers and sellers. A user-friendly platform is what users are looking out for, as the trend is tilting towards mobile devices. Both platforms are user friendly and easy to navigate with simple designs. Let see them go head-to-head below.
• Craigslist is one platform that is known for its user-friendliness in other words it is easily accessible because of its simple design, making it easy for users to access and navigate.
• The huge amount of listings on the platform might be a disadvantage in this category. The listings are certainly too many, hence making the website a little difficult for its users to access and navigate through easily.
• OfferUp offers its users a chance to learn how navigating the site is done, hence it an added advantage, along with users being able to directly contact sellers with the use of its mobile app.
• Yes, you read right, OfferUp has a mobile-friendly app that connects buyers to sellers directly and easily. A feature Craigslist certainly does offer.
Both platforms are user friendly that is they are easily accessible and also easy to navigate. But the mobile app feature which OfferUp provides gives the platform an advantage over Craigslist. Hence for me, in this category, OfferUp wins.
Category Two: Layout Challenge
This challenge or feature is one, that is easily overlooked but has a great impact on the users. Users certainly will love to buy or sell on a platform with easy layout and design. OfferUp has a much better design and layout compared to Craigslist which has stuck to its traditional design right from its establishment.
• Craigslist homepage layout still looks as it was in its early days, yea! we’re talking about the ’90s. Its design and layout haven’t been upgraded from what it used to be, with new trends and design out in the market, Craigslist still chooses it old look, which is a big disadvantage to the platform in this category.
• OfferUp is certainly the opposite of what Craigslist is in terms of layout and design. Its theme color which is green makes it very unique and catchy.
There’s nothing really much to say in this category, OfferUp clearly wins this. Again OfferUp layouts and designs are advanced and unique compared to Craigslist. Craigslist hasn’t done much in advancing its designs from what it looks in its early days. OfferUp wins this category.
Category Three: Popularity Challenge
This feature plays a big role in users trusting a particular platform. Users are drawn to platforms that have credibility and fame in their city. This way, they are sure of transacting business with someone they know from their area or city.
• There’s really no competition when it comes to the popularity category, Craigslist is by far more popular than OfferUp and many other online marketplaces.
• As stated earlier, Craigslist is said to have more than 20+ billion page views every month, making it the 72nd most visited website in the world and the 11th most visited website in America.
• One major feature OfferUp can boast of in this category is being the largest mobile marketplace. Its popularity certainly does not supersede that of Craigslist.
• It is popular in major urban areas of America but lacks credibility and popularity in some rural areas, it is definitely gradually rising up but certainly, Craigslist is more popular all over the world.
Craigslist wins this category challenge as the most popular online marketplace between both platforms. You are sure of finding a seller or buyer you know in your area on Craigslist. It is vast, has credibility, and more popular compared to OfferUp. Craigslist wins.
Category Four: Support Challenge
Customer support is one feature, that is likely to be a defining factor on what platform to choose as a buyer or seller. Users want to get answers to questions or problems they find to be difficult, this is where the support service of both platforms comes into play. Let’s find out who wins.
• One way to get support on Craigslist is to submit an online support form, where you’d get help or answers to your questions from their customer support services.
• On every page of the website there’s a “help” link at the bottom, for users to ask questions and get answers, there’s a list of questions and answer section from the link for self-help.
• OfferUp also has a link to its questions and answers section on its platform, along with a community forum where users ask questions and get answers from top users of the platform.
• OfferUp renders users support services on twitter which is an advantage, not forgetting that it also offers its users a link to submit an online support form and get answers to questions or talk to an online customer rep.
OfferUp wins with a slight margin in this category challenge, its use of social media platforms to create groups for users make it easy to get answer or support needed ASAP. OfferUp wins this category.
Category Five: Safety and Protection
Buyers and sellers safety and protection are of great concern to both platforms. Although, OfferUp offers more in terms of its users’ protection compared to Craigslist. OfferUp uses special features to make the platform more secure for its users.
• Craigslist has a page for users on how to carry out transactions safely and easily. They emphasize that users meeting in public places.
• The TruYou verification feature on OfferUp gives it an advantage over Craigslist. The feature allows users to verify their identity on the platform with a valid ID. This ensures it users are trustworthy people, as the verification process involves users submitting their picture and other sensitive information making it free from fraudsters.
• Another great feature is the “Community MeetUp spots” this feature simply allows its users to meet and carry out transactions in a safe place.
OfferUp clearly wins this category challenge. Its use of user identity verification is a huge feature Craigslist does not offer its users.
OfferUp vs Craigslist – Conclusion
Craigslist and OfferUp are both great options for buyers and sellers, both platforms offer features to their users which makes them unique to one another. The decision on which platform to use is solely based on individual preference.
As an individual or a certain buyer or seller, there must be a particular feature that catches your fancy between both platforms. If by chance, you were not able to make a decision, you can still check out other alternatives to OfferUp and Craigslist.
Hope I was of help to you through this post, take your time and study both platforms and make a decision on which is better. You certainly can’t go wrong with either of them.